Are you pregnant and feeling all the feels?
Do you ask yourself, “Are these feelings normal?”
Pregnancy produces a lot of different hormones which can cause mood swings during pregnancy. These mood swings can be normal for pregnancy, but sometimes they are a sign of a mental health problem. Depression and anxiety are common during pregnancy and after pregnancy. You are not alone! One in eight women will experience postpartum depression. You should talk to your health care provider if these feelings continue past a couple of weeks.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says:
“Depression symptoms include:
· Having a lasting sad, anxious, or “empty” mood.
· Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism.
· Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness.
· Feelings of irritability or restlessness.
· Loss of energy.
· Problems concentrating, recalling details, and making decisions.
· Difficulty falling asleep or sleeping too much.
· Overeating or loss of appetite.
· Suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts.
· Aches or pains that do not get better with treatment.”
Depression and anxiety is treatable during pregnancy. It is important to talk to your health care provider about your concerns and how you are feeling. Help is out there and easily accessible!
Things to do to help process and work through your feelings:
· Exercise with walking.
· Get outside and get fresh air.
· Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and veggies.
· Talk to a friend.
· Discuss with your health care provider.
· Make an appointment with a counselor.
Each of these things can make a drastic difference in your mood, and overall outlook, during pregnancy and even post pregnancy. If one doesn’t work, trying a new one just might! You are on the right path to a healthier you.
OBRIA is one place you can get started right now! If you live in the Houston Area, check out our website to get information and make an appointment today!